Tuesday, January 11, 2011

You take the high road and I'll take the low road...

Verily and well met, ye travelers. I had the unique opportunity a while back to take a trip to a place I'd always wanted to see someday. For graduation from Cornell, Tara's parents funded her a trip to Ireland and decided to have me join her part of the way through (I think it was a security measure in the end...). We had a blast and a half in those green hills, let me tell you. Actually, I will do just that. While over there, I kept a journal (a classy gift from TJ...) of what we did and saw each day I was there. So, now it's 2011 and once a week I'll be posting one day of my journal on this blog as well as some choice pictures. So...

Day 0

Flight day! Finally, the stress is ending, at least for the moment. Moving was...an experience. Despite the fact that nothing felt right about it and there were set backs aplenty, it was all completed with relatively few hitches. It also proved what stellar friends I have, especially Jon. I honestly could not have done it without him in every sense of the word. Props to Nick & Kate too. They really made up for the past (don't ask...). But if it weren't for Brian & Tj, Jon would be a best man. Bar none. I owe him BIG after this...

As far as the rest of the day(s...) went, a paraphrase will suffice: Load the cars, do the last errands, drive down, switch the cars, drive again, unload the truck, sleep, unload part of Tara's, (re..)pack, drive to Philly, and here we are. As I write this, the plane is trafficking on the runway and we will be on our way to Birmingham; stop 1 of this magical mystery tour...

(Shortly later...)

Something needs to be said still. Those two bottles of wine for Tara? Yeah, I semi-forgot to mention their existence. No duty was levied even if they were discovered. So, that leaves us with the following:
-The wine was NOT discovered in the process of loading the baggage, meaning no duty AND raises concerns about the security of Philly International...
-The wine WAS discovered, but has no duty attached for whatever reason (This is preferable...)...
-The wine WAS discovered, but no one really cared to do anything about it. Troublesome...
-The wine WAS discovered and subsequently taken out of my bag, for any one of multiple reasons, pre-boarding. Disappointing, but understandable...

This raises a concern (potentially...) about the safety of shipped goods. If the win was indeed not found, then it falls into the category of the wine I sent Mom for Mother's Day. Wrapped in a folded beach towel, the USPS were none the wiser. Hopefully, that is not the case with US Airways. Otherwise, yours' truly could in Biiig trouble ::shudder, shudder::. Don't dwell on it, don't dwell on it, damn it! Ok, good...

The time has come to sign off Day 0. Take off has commenced and I've unloaded all that I wish (for now...). Shortly, I shall ascend and be graced with England's shores. It's my first time so I'm stoked. Journalling will be regular, if haphazardly timed. Ah, there we go. Engines are at maximum thrust as of ..................(it was a fake out...)...............................(we are so going to be late...).......................................................(bunch of assholes...)......Screw it. I'm reading Skymall. See you in the UK!

June 12, 2009
Nicholas C. Witte

No comments: