Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Don't know when I'll be back again...

Here comes another entry from my Ireland journal; this time I wrote from a different country. Remember, these entries are verbatim and reflect my mindset at the time. Some of the opinions on these pages may have changed over the course of the trip. Enjoy...

Day 1

If moving from Ithaca the way I did was an experience, then getting to Ireland was a cluster fuck and a half. To be fair, I am still on the proper flight, but let me explain:
-First, I got little sleep on the first flight. No biggie; that happens to everybody...
-Then, customs went smooth with few questions. Bonus...
-Backtrack: the flight into Birmingham was quite painful, due to the fact my ear kept refusing to pop. Even in the air now, my left ear feels full. Bad start to the day...
-Next, the baggage claim. My info wasn't clear on if I transfer the luggage myself (that felt right since I was changing airlines...) or they do it automatically (this is the correct one...). Originally, no problem. I had like 40-45 minutes till the flight. Here's where is all went south...
-I first went to the wrong terminal. Stress builds...
-I find the proper terminal, however the Aer Lingus gate has closed for check in A HALF AN HOUR BEFORE THE FLIGHT. I'm screwed big time...
-Nearing tears (to be fair, it would leave me stranded IN ENGLAND...), I happen across a mother/daughter team who did the same things I did (It's an American thing. We screw up alot...)...
-We then go to rebook the flight (which would seriously crimp the budget...) and come to find out our boarding passes are at the US Airways gate. Frantic, adrenalized energy sets in...
-RUN!!!
-Jump the security check line. RUN!!!
-Boarding pass and passport checks out. RUN!!!
-Get on the plane and quiver with relief/terror/etc...

Two points of note this morning. One, if you arrive on one airline and will leave on another one, isn't it natural to assume your ticket will be picked up at the NEXT airline? Yes. Is that the reality of the situation? Hell no. At least, hell no in England/Europe. And what the crap is that 'closing check in early'? It doesn't leave any time for stragglers, late comers, or emergencies. Now, maybe it's my spoiled American ways, but it seems a little too...overly efficient, let's say...

And speaking of efficiency, number two; the British security check points. They are tight, efficient (I said that...), and a model for the rest of us. EXCEPT: They are quick almost to the point of careless (almost...). I didn't have to take off my shoes (American airlines only?) and I didn't even get an obligatory pat down. Maybe we should be taking a cue from them, albeit tightened up for good measure. I mean, who wants to copy the English, yes?

Seeing Tara made up for the crappy day in spades. I know it was only a couple of weeks being apart and all, but it was a stressful couple of weeks and I've gotten used to having her around. Though, I suppose it was good she wasn't around for the move. I needed all the space I had and then some...

The next part of the day was mostly uneventful. It was a long drive back to our campsite (it only FELT longer than its 4+ hours...), and I was quite drowsy. After some caffeinated beverages, we played catch up and got all kissy faced. Ireland DOES have some pretty country sides, by the way, even if some of it is a bit dull. You could see much of the same in Pennsylvania that you could see here. Dull aside, it is pretty neat to be here. A new place and all...

Our first city tour was in Galway, which I swear was like a modern themed, year long Ren Fest. All the shops were flush with the next and a wide variety of buskers and street merchants abounded. Tara's not much of a city girl, but I sure as heck am (...wait...)! Despite that, we took a walking tour of the town, went to St. Nicholas' cathedral (SUPER stained glass windows. Primo tops...), saw like seven couples making out, then we had dinner...

Since it was my first real meal off the plane, I went with a traditional Irish lamb stew with a Guinness and Tara went with haddock. The food was great, the ambiance was great, the service was ok. Three thumbs up!!!

Afterwards, there's little to tell. We got home, bedded down, got busy, and went to bed. It was a good first day. Tune in tomorrow for...The Cliffs of Moher!

June 13, 2009
Nicholas C. Witte
Guinness Count: 1

No comments: