Tuesday, January 4, 2011

It can be truly said, that I have a bat in my belfry...

Day 2 and a late one at that. For this post, I have decided to compare the performances of the Joker given to us by Jack Nicholson, Heath Ledger, and Mark Hamill (I honestly give little thought to the late great Caesar Romero...). Each actor has given us his own unique spin on the Clown Prince of Crime and each has seemed fresh and has been a delight to watch, time and time again. Seeing each on the screen, big or small, causes us to watch the film (or tv series as the case may be...) over and over...

First up, good old Jack Nicholson from the 1989 Batman film. Mr. Nicholson started the role as a on-the-edge gangster and became the Joker after a toxic accident involving the Dark Knight (very close to the Joker's actual origin...). In this version, a younger pre-Joker killed Batman's parents, in effect causing him to become the Joker X-ty years later (not exactly meshing with the books, but I'll take it. Jack plays the Joker closer to the Silver Age version of the comic character (with a bit of the sinister borrowed from the Bronze Age...) what with the outlandish get-ups, the sadistic joke props, and the lethally playful nature his exhibits when destroying the world around him. His every delight is to make the world around him as mad and terrifying as he is and will sacrifice everything, from objects of his affections to his henchmen to the entire populace of Gotham itself, to reach this end. He's obsessive, psychotic, deranged, and suitably warped and I love it. Jack Nicholson, while not a suprising choice for the role (he DOES do crazy well...), was a more than appropriate choice for the role and it's a large reason I keep this film near the top of my favorite lists. If only they hadn't killed him at the end of the movie (DAMN YOU AND THE PRECEDENT YOU SET, TIM BURTON!)...

Now for the oddly wonderful performance by Mark Hamill in the 90's animated Batman series, as well as the occasional cameo in film and video games. Of all the actors to take on the role, Mark has done it the longest and in more things than anyone else. To be honest, I didn't learn that the Joker was Luke Skywalker until the animated series was on the decline and I caught his credit in Mask of the Phantasm (it's a pretty damn good movie, animated or not...). Up until this point, I always wondered what Mark managed to do after Star Wars and I'm glad it ended up being something that comes close to the pop culture appeal of Skywalker. Mark added something to the Joker that both Nicholson and Romero were missing (to one degree or another...): that large dash of anarchist crazy the Joker should always have. Sure, he had more of the gimmicks of previous incarnations, but he was just as happy blowing up buildings for no reason than following some plan. And that ever changing laugh! Jack was good but he was no Mark Hamill in this department. Further, each time they ask Mark to do the Joker in a video game, it's always a delight to hear that voice again (it's a generational thing...). If I could get one voice down pat, it'd be Mark's Joker (Lord knows I've tried...).

Last (but certainly not least...) is the late Heath Ledger's performance in The Dark Knight. I'll admit it (even if you won't..) that I was nervous when I heard that the dude from Roar and A Knight's Tale was going to be The Joker. No way that was going to work out good for anyone. We were all wrong. Ledger turned Joker from the Clown Prince of Crime to a serial force of anarchy whose only goal is to destroy. He managed to channel pieces of past Joker performances (Jack's affinity for gangsters and chemicals, Mark's ever changing laugh, some of the gaudiness of Romero...) and keep the role fresh and new. Despite Heath's passing, it is this role that kept (and still keeps..) the audience coming back for more. Watching the Joker just bring Gotham down around Batman's ears is beyond a delight. Like any good Batman media piece, the villain (in the end...) is always more interesting and fun than the hero himself. Me, I was sold after the 'magic trick' (That Was AWESOME...) on the fact that this was going to be one hell of a ride, all the way to the end. My hat's off to Mr. Ledger and it's a shame that he passed before we could see more of what he could do with the Joker...

So who wins? Who takes the cake with the poison Joker gas inside? It's a tough one objectively; each actor gave something to the role that each other could not give. Do I stick with the older, crazed gangster clown who 'created' The Batman? Or should it be the animated criminal with the higher body count than his other cartoon brethren? Perhaps it should be the mutilated chaos bringer with a knack for bombs? As I write this, the Jack Joker just shot Bruce in Vicki's apartment and left as a plane farting, so it's hard to be completely detached. Let's do this: The 'Most Faithful Award' goes to Mark Hamill as he embodied all aspects of the comic version at one time or another. The 'Crazy but Effective Award' goes to Heath for dismantling the mob, blowing up banks and hospitals, and creating Two-Face (also not true to the comics, but whatever...). Finally, Jack gets the 'Mastermind Award' for, despite being dropped into toxic waste, took over the mob, created elaborate schemes to kill everyone in Gotham (twice...), and his awesome henchmen (I'm looking at you ninja blade feet, bald guy with a boombox, and Bob...). Did I pick a favorite? Nope. Will I ever? Doubt it. I'm strangely comfortable with that fact...

7 comments:

Brian said...

Why try to pick a favorite?

Also, see if you can change your blog settings so that I don't have to answer a CAPTCHA every time I comment :-(

Prototaph said...

Comparing and contrasting leads to worthwhile discussions about the finer things in life. In this case, it's the Joker. I honestly started writing, thinking I could pick one and I just can't. They are all too good...

Prototaph said...

I will also see if I can disable the CAPTCHA function in the next couple of days...

Schmoops said...

When I get the chance, I'll have to send you audio of myself imitating the Mark Hamill Joker laugh. I can't quite do it right now because I fell on my side while snowboarding. I actually talked with Klein about this as well. He said it sounds like another laugh of a similar nature, but I'm not on the top of my game yet.

Prototaph said...

I'll await your laughter with curiosity as the joy of Hamill's Joker is that the laughter was so varied across the series...

The Ikari One said...

As Brian said, why try to pick a favorite? This is one of those instances, where NOT having a favorite is beneficial. In fact, LIKING all four (most popular) incarnations of the Joker just proves that everyone who played him did a great job, and is in itself a sign of great fandom for the Joker character. After all, who says the Joker picks favorites?

Prototaph said...

Ah, but he does. His favorite is Batman...