Thursday, January 6, 2011

Food for thought (and your belly...)...

How's about a recipe? One of my favorite things to do is cook, especially for those I am closest to (you know who you are...). I try to make all sorts of delights to tantalize taste buds for others. If the food were just for me, I'd make it super damn simple. However, I might as well use all those classes and years of experience and give of myself to those I love. The following is one of my favorite full meals to make and do so quite often...

Caribbean Cola Chicken

Ingredients/amounts:
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts - 1 per person...
Bacon, thick-cut - 1 to 2 strips per breast...
Mushrooms, sliced - 2 - 4 slices per breast...
Monterey Jack cheese - 2 - 3 slices per breast (about 3 in. long and less than 1/4 in. thick...)...
Ham, deli/thin-sliced - 2 - 3 pieces per breast...
Two liter bottle of Coca-Cola...
Garlic, salt, pepper...

1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees...
2) Spray a 9X9 pan with non-stick coating (good for 4 to 5 people...)...
3) Filet the breasts and open like a book. Tenderize with a meat hammer...
4) Sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic to taste...
5) Wrap mushrooms and cheese in the ham slices. Place at the top of the breast...
6) Roll up the chicken breast and tuck the ends underneath. Seal with bacon...
7) Place each roll-up in the pan. Pour the Coca-Cola over the breasts until the tops are just covered...
8) Bake for 40 minutes. Done when the edges of the bacon are just crispy black. The cola in the pan will become translucent...
9) Lift out with tongs and enjoy...

Two nice dishes for this extravagance range from simple to slightly complex. The easy: purchase some fresh green beans, cut off the stems and steam. The flavor and texture give a nice counter point to the main dish as well as the following other side dish...

Coconut Pineapple Rice with Lemon Grass

Ingredients/amounts:
Coconut milk - 2 cups...
Jasmine rice - 1 cups...
Lemon grass - 1 to 2 stalks...
Pineapple, chunked - Half a can, drained...
Coconut, shredded - Optional...

1) Lightly smash the lemon grass with a rolling pin or other heavy object...
2) Place in the pan with the coconut milk and rice and bring the mixture to a boil...
3) Lower the heat to a simmer, cover and simmer gently.
4) After 15 minutes, check to see if the liquid has been absorbed. Check every 5 minutes until you have the desired consistency...
5) Remove from heat and fluff the rice with a fork...
6) Remove the lemon grass and add pineapple. Let sit for a few minutes before serving
7) Serve with the shredded coconut on top if desired...

Finally, to top off the meal with just a dash of sophistication, I like to serve a crisp, tart white wine with the meal. My preference: The Blues from the Lucas vineyard in Ithaca, NY. The citrusy tartness and clean aftertaste allow the flavors of the food to mingle together with the wine without being overwhelmed or underwhelmed. The Blues is one of my favorite wines of all time, so it should not be a surprise I like it with one of my favorite meals to both prepare and serve. There is no adequate desert to accompany this meal; the foods are so rich and heavy that by the time I'm done eating, I am far too full to think about any sweet treats.

If you choose to use these recipes and have a delightful evening with someone (or some ones...) special, let me know. The art of making food for friends and family is something I hold near and dear to me and sharing the wealth with others, strangers or otherwise, only increases my enjoyment. Until next time, food lovers...

2 comments:

Brian said...

You gave away your secret recipe!

Prototaph said...

The more the merrier, sir. Create and enjoy...