Monday, January 31, 2011

We prere'd the crap out of that day...

Seems I missed a day again. This will have to count for last Friday (problematic at the very least...), which is kind of odd since what I will go over today happened on Sunday, so it wouldn't have been an issue then. Cop out? Perhaps, but it is a good topic none the less. So, Big Brian (yeah, I said it...) and I decided that, after such a long hiatus, it was time for us to blow some cash and have some geektacular fun, just the two of us. And we're off to Glen Burnie for the Mirrodin Besieged M:tG prerelease...

A little prere explanation: Before the official release of any Magic: the Gathering set, Wizards of the Coasts sends out a set number of booster pack boxes to locations across the country for the use of having a Limited tournament (a type of event where only the very most recent cards are allowed...). Each player is given six boosters with which to make a 40 card deck (lands are comp...) and then the players are paired off, standard elimination style. If you do well enough, you could win additional boosters as prizes. Usually, those who do the best are those who randomly receive the biggest bombs (REALLY good cards...) as well as factoring in proficiency at deck building. If the deck building skills are comparable between two players, the game is often decided which player pulled the better cards from the outset. Further, larger locations may also run booster drafts, which allow X players to pull-and-pass packs, taking a card one by one and then making a deck with their choices. At the end of the day, each player walks home with a promo card and (at least...) six booster packs worth of the current block sets, all for the cool price of 30 bucks for one sealed flight (drafts and additional flights cost extra...)...

This then brings us up to Mirrodin Besieged, the second set in the Scars of Mirrodin block (this block being a sequel block to the original Mirrodin block back in 2003...). When last we left Mirrodin (a metallic world where life is infused with metal [the trees, the people, everything...]...), the elf Glissa had saved the day, the green sun had been created, and the turmoil within that set had been (to one degree or another...) appropriately resolved. Fast forward 7ish years (real world time...) and enter Scars of Mirrodin/Mirrodin Besieged. Life progressed as normal on Mirrodin (whatever normal happens to be for metalish beings...). However, the once defeated Phyrexians (M:tG's overarching baddies...) have returned and insidiously invaded Mirrodin, right under the noses of the (un...)natural inhabitants. The Phyrexian forces have finagled their way into every aspect of Mirrodin life, which brings us to the end of Scars. Within Mirrodin Besieged, the Mirrans have noticed their planet being overtaken by the Phyrexians and fight back finally, splitting the planet into two warring factions (Mirrans vs. Phyrexians, if you hadn't guessed by now...). Mirrans favor the red/white philosophy (Mountains/Plains, attacking bonuses, cheap fast creatures, lots of removal spells, etc...) while green/black is the purview of the Phyrexians (Forest/Swamps, poison counters, regeneration, big stompy creatures, wither away forces and resources, etc...). Blue, then, is split in twain between the two factions, subtlely supporting both sides of the war(Islands, card drawing, charge counters, evasions, temporary removal, etc...)...

This prerelease was different than the others I have been to, specifically because the players had to pick which warring faction to play as. This affected the cards you would get (Mirrans got more red/white cards, Phyrexians got more green/black...) in each Besieged pack. Rather than getting a standard booster with a standard assortment, players received three Scars packs and three Besieged packs of their faction. I chose Phyrexian and Brian went with Mirran (we wanted to see how each side fared...). Brian did not pull cards that were so great, but I pulled decently. I built a very solid green/black/artifact deck and it played fairly well each game. My problem: no real bombs to speak of. Many solid cards, but nothing that was really game changing/ending (see: Blightsteel Colossus, Massacre Wurm, Creeping Corruption, etc...) so I had to rely on my deck building skills over just 'getting lucky'. I would be remiss if I did not mention that Brian is very integral to my continued deck building skills. He is great for bouncing ideas off of, though sometimes I feel I may use him as a crutch (though one of the few times he wasn't there, I won packs...)...

My first match was against a Mirran deck, but the guy didn't really seem to know what he was doing (at the very least, he was not a good deck builder...). I smoked him 2-0; he played very little cards and my efficient deck just ran him over (like a boss...). Second game, I got a beat down quite a bit (I went 1-2...). This guy played a Phyrexian deck like mine, but ended up pulling better cards from the get go. He was faster and his bombs were very bomb-y (the above Massacre Wurm made multiple appearances...). I was able to poison him out one game, but it was for naught. My last game (1-2 again...) was a beast to play. This guy was running multiple awesome cards (Venser, Black Sun Zenith, Sunblast Angel, etc...) in a strange (but effective...) black/white/blue combination, but my 'Little-Deck-That-Almost-Could' pushed through enough poison to end the game. That guy was pissed. However, game two I got mana screwed (not enough resources to cast my spells...) and then he just beat the crap out of me in game three. Good matches, even if I won no prizes...

Final thoughts regarding the prere: I have missed it and it was a lot of fun. However, I will say the overall match ups were a little dull(ish...) as you could almost guess what you would see once you figure which faction the opponent was playing. The variable of deck types were reduced a bit (I was very pleasantly surprised to see black/white/blue in round three...), but the game play itself was a delight. Brian and I hadn't played a prere since Lorwyn in 2007, so it was nice to get out and do it up right. This time, it was a local store rather than a big convention hall so it was a bit of a different experience (less of an event and more like a Friday Night Magic...). I am highly looking forward to the next prere tournament, but will satisfy my cravings with the occasional one on one draft that Brian and I do so well. Until next time, enjoy gaming folks, however you find it...

3 comments:

Brian said...

That's a lot of parentheses and ellipses

Also, looking back on my pool, I shoulda played that Skinrender and Grasp of Darkness. Yeah, the rest of my black sucked, but those two are just some of the most powerful removal in Scars of Mirrodin.

Prototaph said...

If you couldn't tell, I am trying to make that my thing (good or bad, I'll keep it...)...

The Skinwing was ok in my deck but I never got to the point where I equipped it to any other creature. As it doesn't have infect, I think I'd have been better off with a cheaper and/or more on theme creature in it's place. The only thing that would have really aided me was anything resembling a decent Phyrexian bomb...

You got kind of screwed with your pull. It would have taken some serious doing to make a noticeably 'better' deck then what you ran, though it might be possible. If you haven't filed the cards away, give it a whirl and see what you come up with...

Brian said...

I did. I think I could have made W/B/r work. Three color might have worked, since I was blessed with the Gold Myr and two Iron Myr as well as the Sphere of the Suns. I don't think I could have made blue work though, even with the triple Quicksilver Geyser -- I just don't think there were enough creatures to support it.

Ah well. Next time!