Monday, January 3, 2011

Welcome back\Your dreams were your ticket out...

How lovely a new year. It's like new fallen snow, just waiting for my man-sized feet to slog through the pristine countryside. Ahhhh. That's right, folks: It's 2011 and time for another serious crack at the blog-o-sphere. Only this time, it's personal. Last year, I resigned myself to two posts a month as a doable amount of personal blogging. I was generally happy with the results. However, the wedding got in the way about mid-year and then I didn't pick it back up post-October (so sad for my fans...). But, with the advent of a new year, it seemed appropriate to give it another shot and try to be the writer I claim to be...

Now, the way this is going to work (boldly, I might add...) is that, for as long as I can, I will blog 5 days a week. It goes without saying that this is a bit more than 1 every 15 days (give or take a month...). However, by giving myself a task of this magnitude, I am requiring myself to not become complacent with the status of things and actually do something constructive/productive on a daily basis. Here's how it will break down:
- One day for something music related...
- One day for something movie related...
- One day for something game related...
- One day for something comic related...
- One free day...
This will give me enough leeway to explore my interests and not let the blog get stale and dull (well, dullER at any rate...). So, without further ado, I'll take Music for 100, Alex...


Now, I will review Tron: Legacy in a future post (mayhap even on the morrow...), but because I have been listening to the soundtrack since I received it (and thanks to my long-time reader, Brian, for the gift...), it seemed more appropriate to start with the soundtrack rather than the movie itself. If you don't like it, stop reading here...

I love Daft Punk, so it comes as no surprise that I love the album. Daft Punk was asked to score the movie soundtrack and I can think of no one better suited to the task of creating all the music for a movie based on a digital world. These guys are masters of electronic beats and have used all their skills to craft a score that is beyond appropriate for the movie. They have blended orchestral music (an 85 piece orchestra no less...) with the electronica stylings they are known so well for to form a composition that merges seamlessly with the film...

My one and only complaint: Many of the tracks are too short for me. Now, in terms of film music pieces, these pieces seem fine while they are backed by action sequences, moving landscapes, and your general film goings-on. However, as stand along tunes, I could use a little extension. However, despite the shortness, each track is filled with so much awesome that I feel the need to go and see Tron again just to have that experience all over again. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes Tron, Daft Punk, or just digs the electronica scene...

Grade: a solid A and a prayer for a new Daft Punk album, just to keep the vibe going...

2 comments:

Brian said...

Good luck on the blogging.

Can you go through the tracks one by one and give your thoughts on each?

Prototaph said...

An interesting proposition. I shall take it under advisement...