Wednesday, February 2, 2011

No man is an island...

I was challenged by Brian (my true and faithful follower...) that I should rise to an earlier challenge posted by a radio station I don't really listen to. I'm not sure of the full details of the challenge, but I believe it goes something like this: 'You are stuck on a desert island and you can have 10 songs to keep you company. What are they?' Brian did his own and you can find them here. Not to be outdone, I have thought long and hard about what to put on this list. It wasn't easy at all, though such a decision should not be really. Let's cut the crap and get to it. Here is the Witteman's Widget of Desert Island Music:



As this seems appropriate (and since Brian set the precedent...), I'll break down the why for each song in a short paragraph:

1)How Long - The Eagles: I love me some Eagles and this song encapsulates their 40+ years in the music business. The harmonies are fantastic and the blending of Glenn Fry's and Don Henley's vocals are fan-friggin'-tastic. The song itself is very infectious and it is hard not to sing along with it. While not a complex piece, it does warm the heart and keep me company like an old friend...

2)Baluchitherium - Van Halen: Ramping up from the realm of classic/southern rock is this instrumental from one of my favorite hard rock/heavy metal bands. It has a soaring lead that tells it's own story and a driving bass that never lets up. For being stranded on an island, this little piece not only play well on the ears, but drives me to do tasks such as manual labor and exercise. It makes me feel powerful and, by being empowered, this will save me from abject loneliness...

3)Limelight - Rush: This is quite possibly the most perfect rock song I have in my collection. The guitar hooks in this are incredible, Neil Pert's drumming is supra-excellent, and Getty Lee's vocals rise like a cathedral without becoming a screech. I cannot adequately profess my joy of this song enough. Were I required to put together just a top five, or even a top three, song list, this would make the cut even then...

4)Runnin' on Empty - Jackson Browne: This song is on this list for one reason and one reason alone: Hope. I cannot tell you how upbeat I get when this song comes on the radio and I want that feeling to follow me to which ever island I land on. Also, much like Baluchitherium, this song has a tendency to get me up and moving with it's driving rhythm and up tempo vocals. This song also emphasizes the fact that, even though I might be all alone and 'runnin' on empty', I can still make it through...

5)Digital Love - Daft Punk: From the realm of rock, we detour into the land of techno/electronica and find a selection from my all-time favorite techno group. This one is chosen due to it's lack of repetitive music, pop-infused sound, lovey-dovey lyrics, and a lead at the end that hints at Van Halen level of technique. It's an extremely light song compared to most on here and the pop flavor runs off of it like water. By adding a song such as this, I prolong the despair I may end up sinking into...

6)Times Like These - Foo Fighters: Another empowering song regarding solidarity, it is also one of my most favorite songs ever. It was a toss up between this one and Everlong, but won due to the overall more positive vibe I get from listening to it. The song is very powerful and is a contender for the hardest song on the list. In such a lonely island situation, when things are looking the most grim, put on this song and remind yourself that it is indeed 'times like these we learn to live again'...

7)Running from an Angel - Hootie & the Blowfish: This is a fun, almost folksy piece that bring me great amounts of enjoyment each time I hear it. It was never a radio hit, but it was a wonderful find after purchasing the album. I love to just sort of dance around like a white dude to this one and just enjoy listening to the music. Also, thankfully Hootie's range is right in mine so singing feels natural. It's a good friend to have on your island...

8)Ventura Highway - America: I have adored this song for well over two decades at this point. I cannot picture my life without this song in it. I get very vivid pictures of traveling down the road with a friend or two, casually so. There is an air of nonchalance and a laid back energy that helps mellow up the days where stress may build. Also, I find this song is a very hopeful, if strange lyric-wise, song and I listen to it when I am feeling down in the dumps to pick myself back up...

9)Faithfully - Journey: Quite possibly the greatest rock ballad of all, Faithfully gives us another song of soaring vocals and excellent guitar work as we wind the list down. The message that, no matter how far apart we may be, I will be yours faithfully is both powerful and cathartic In the dark times of isolation, when hope and drive seems all but gone, Journey's eternal song of heartfelt love can shine through. The epic level of such a mighty, mighty song cannot be overstated and I would be a fool not to bring it along to the island...

10)Aqueous Transmission - Incubus: A late, almost dark horse, entry to the list is this very odd little piece, but one I cherish. I have fallen asleep many nights listening to this story song with a smile on my face. It is a dreamy, flowing song that stays mellow like a calm river and soothes the nerves on even the most troublesome days. It's affect on me is almost zen-like in nature. I can allow myself to be taken by this song and lose myself in the lyrics, the music, and the mood. The pieces just all fit together beautifully...

So there she be, friends and neighbors. Not what you might choose for certain, but we all go into the 'desert island' situation for different vantage points. I took it from more of a 'I will eventually dive deeper into lonely despair and need the company of up tempo numbers to pull me out of it' standpoint. I treat these songs like I would companions and have chosen them according to qualities I would look for in people. Makes sense? Not completely, but I bought it. What would YOU have picked?
New Widget
http://grooveshark.com/playlist/My+Widget/43128285

2 comments:

Brian said...

Pretty good. You sure did take the "stranded" thing pretty seriously, with all your "pick me up" choices.

Also, I'm slightly disappointed in you that there's nothing really adventurous on here. Where's your eccentricity? ;-P

Prototaph said...

There in lies the rub, bub. I want songs that I would actually listen to over and over and over again, not quirky songs with more flair than substance. Usually those songs get old, annoying, or whatever quickly and deserve the occasional listen, no matter how good they are. If you were really stranded on an island alone, you'd need songs that would keep you company and remind you why you need to keep living...

As an aside, there is a separate list in my head which consists solely of mashups so I can maximize my song ratio per track. It's just more economical to choose all mashups, really. Even though that's not really in the spirit of the exercise...

I'm not sure what exactly you were expecting of me, though. Hit me with some songs you'd think I'd have picked cause I'm not sure what you mean by 'adventurous', really. Show tunes? Rap metal? Swing? Tell me, sir...