Sunday, May 31, 2009

From Ithaca with Love...

Well, faithful reader, my time in Ithaca draws to a close. In a scant few days, I shall embark back to the loving arms of Maryland, leaving the cool New York climate behind me. I can say, without a doubt, that I will shed a tear for this era of life gone by. I view it as the last vestige of my 'childhood', if you will, ending. Why, you may ask? Let's look at the facts:
-I am in an extremely adult relationship (fiance > girlfriend)...
-I have fewer and fewer 'in-school' friends (Jon's still one of the best, but his number is few and far between)...
-Now, I have a 'family' to support (hi, Tara) and be supported by...
-Thoughts of a career are welcome now (any ol' job vs. satisfying work)...
-And so on...

To those who know me, it's not as frightening as I have imagined it in years gone by. I've grown very comfortable with the person I have become, despite how others see me (no one in particular, so none of that speculation jibber-jabber). I'm still the lovable, eccentric, random dude I always have been, but in many ways, I've matured. They say rock bottom is a college education, and while I may not have ever hit bedrock, I've come close enough to worry. After all this, and all the things I've learned, I am ready to be THIS adult...

So, enough of this self-indulgent bull, let's get on with the TRUE meat and potatoes of this post (for all of you who suffered through all that). We have ourselves yet another musical post. Here's a list of songs I've learned of, loved, and acquired in the year and a half in Ithaca. Even with its wide variety of artists and style, this list still more than adequately represents my unique, eclectic musical taste. And, without further ado, I give thee:

The Witteman's Ithaca Mix CD (and you can take that to the bank)...
WARNING: SOME VIDEOS MAY VARY FROM THE ACTUAL RECORDING. VIEWER DISCRETION IS SCORNED...

1. The Eagles - How Long
(Proving that old guys can still have chops...)
2. Bruce Springsteen - Girls in Their Summer Clothes
(Same as above, but The Boss never went away...)
3. Foo Fighters - Long Road to Ruin
(Please, please, PLEASE give us some more music!...)
4. Bruce Springsteen - Radio Nowhere
(Still The Boss and still rocks the house...)
5. Snoop Dogg - Sensual Seduction
(It's good to see rappers have a sense of humor...)
6. Mylo - In My Arms
(Repetitive, but on the whole, very catchy...)
7. .38 Special - Caught Up in You
(CLASSIC ROCK, FOREVER!!!...)
8. Linus Loves feat. Sam Obernik - Stand Back
(Now HERE'S a remix that is respectful and unique, all at once...)
9. Rick Springfield - What's Victoria's Secret
(Refer to my review in a much, MUCH earlier post...)
10. Paul McCartney - Ever Present Past
(See old guy comment...)
11. Mariah Carey - We Belong Together
(My only true musical sin...)
12. Jimmy Eat World - Electable (Give It Up) (It's the first song...)
(These guys are proving they have to moxie to stick around...)
13. Dragonforce - Heroes of Our Time
(Journey meets Slayer meets Nintendo...)
14. Daft Punk - Human After All (Justice Remix)
(Man, my favorite techno band and one of my favorite remix groups...)
15. Van Halen - Baluchitherium (It's the best I could do. I'll play my copy when next we meet...)
(Truly an epic instrumental rock piece...)

If you know me, then none of this should come as a surprise. If you don't, now you know a little more about this guy (and knowing is half the battle...). This list is not ranked top to bottom or first found to last found. Rather, this list is assembled as I would burn them onto a cd for listening enjoyment. By clicking on the links and listening, you can find out for yourself how this would all play out. If I got it off by a little, tell me. What would you do?...

2 comments:

Brian said...

Have fun in Ireland! See you when you get back...

Prototaph said...

A detailed account shall follow. Who knows? You might see me before then...