Friday, September 5, 2008

Since we last spoke...

Hey everybody...or at least everybody who's stumbled across this random blog. At the behest of a good friend of mine (I'm looking at you, TJ), I have started this blog for the purpose of writing what ever floats into my spectrum. So, that's what Ima gonna doa...

Starting off, last weekend I went to a free concert of Rjd2 (as a side note, I meant to set this thing up earlier in the week, but with job hunting and being lazy and everything, I'm only getting around to 'reviewing' it now). It was way, way groovy...



Now, I've only been a fan of Rjd2 for a small handful of years (also thanks to Tj) but ever since I heard a remix of Ghostwriter, I was hooked. Shortly after, I found a copy of Tippin' Dominoes by Vast Aire he remixed and loved it. But it was when I finally got my hands of a copy of 'Since We Last Spoke...' did I finally realize that this guy doesn't just mix good songs; this man can compose a seriously solid album...

When I saw the posters around the Commons up here in Ithaca, NY, I honestly couldn't believe someone of his notoriety was playing a free concert. But, not being one who looks a gift horse in the mouth, I vowed to go. My concert going has been severely limited, mainly due to cost, and since FREE is my favorite four letter word, there was NO WAY I was going to miss seeing him live. So I did and what a show I was in for...

The opening act (The Scott Harris Project for those who care), who I assume were local, was ok. The audience were all sitting around, relaxing and chillin', so I thought, 'Ok, so I guess this is how we're doing Rjd2. Just sitting around, experiencing the music.' Remember now, I have never been to one of these before, and boy was I wrong. After the TSHP got off the stage and Rjd2 was getting set up, the audience (which by now had swelled to between 500 and 1000 people) began rushing to front of the stage to get as close as possible. Yours truly did too, but I stayed back a smidge to try and get some pictures. Wrong idea...

Finally, Rj started the show and the crowd went nuts. Since I don't the body of the mans work, some of the reactions of the crowd I didn't quite follow. However, with his four turntables, wanky box (his words, not mine), and his projection 'screen', this skinny techno/electronica/hip-hop artist gave us his all. He played a good mix of old and new tracks, mixing and spinning the whole time, giving us heavy beats and throwing in new eccentricities to songs we knew and love. I got to see the entirety of the show and it was well worth the walk across Cornells HUGE campus...

The best parts...
1) free, Free, FREE!!!
2) Throughout the whole show, he was projecting mood scenes and old movie clips to semi-sync with the music. Favorites: Evil Dead 2(!), Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and Tron...
3) I got like 20 feet, if not closer, to the man himself. The bass cut through me and I felt super groovy.
4) This may be the very best part: He was having the time of his life on stage. Every time the crowd cheered, he got this big, dumb grin on. I envy that.

I'm not sure what else to say about it, really. I think I'd actually pay to see him, but not like ALOT. I really don't want to pay ALOT to see anyone cause, you know, I'm poor. Well, till next time, you readers few...

(Incidentally, the picture was found on www.Mtv.com, in case they want to get uppity with a blogger grabbing a picture from their site.)

No comments: